Orange County Paternity & DNA Testing Lawyers Helping Clients Establish Parentage
Paternity cases can often be complicated and typically involve a lot of emotion. This is because not only are the parents dealing with these sensitive issues, but the children are involved as well. At the end of the day, the most important part of these cases is establishing parentage so that you can be a part of your child’s life.
At Sarieh Law Offices, we have helped many clients establish parentage. We have been asked several questions about the topic, here are some of the most common we have received:
- How is parentage established?
- Why would you want to establish parentage?
- How can DNA testing be used to establish paternity?
How Can A Parent-Child Relationship Be Established?
Here are the different ways that a parent-child relationship can be established under California law:
- The parents are married and living together at the time that the child was born. If this is the situation, no paternity action will be needed.
- If the unwed father signs a voluntary declaration of paternity at the hospital at the time that the child is born.
- DNA Testing
- Parentage by estoppel which is when a father deems a child as his own regardless of a biological relationship.
Why Would You Want To Establish Parentage?
The reasons why someone would want to establish parentage include the following:
- Identity – it is important for a child to know that they are loved and belong to a family. It is also important for the father to be aware of their child. Establishing parentage can assist with creating a relationship between the child and their father.
- Relationship with the child – Studies shows that having a relationship with the parent and the child is fundamental to the growth of the child.
- Child Custody and visitation – Once parentage is established, custody and visitation rights can be contested.
- Financial – Establishing parentage can affect financial benefits such as child support, social security benefits, life insurance, pensions, retirement benefits, and even the rights to inheritance.
- Medical – One of the biggest reasons to establish parentage is because it can provide tremendous benefits to the parents and the child. Many doctors need to be aware of the medical history of the parents, as well as if there are any genetic traits and diseases.
How Can DNA Testing Be Used To Establish Paternity?
DNA tests will be conducted by experts at a testing center using oral swabs of the mother, alleged father, and the child. The results are then sent to a lab so that the genetic markers can be analyzed. If the genetic test results score 100 or higher on the paternity index, then the paternity can be confirmed.
Speak With A Top-Rated Paternity & DNA Testing Law Firm In Orange County, Ca Today
If you want to establish the parentage of your child and need help protecting your rights, contact Sarieh Law Offices today. We understand the sensitive nature of these cases and will guide you each step of the way.
Our lawyers are compassionate to your needs and aggressive when needed. To learn more about your legal options, contact us for a case evaluation at (714) 542-6200.