One of the most difficult aspects of a divorce case is determining how things will be handled when it comes to your children. You and your spouse may not agree on child care, or you may have different opinions when it comes to what is and is not adequate visitation. Keep in mind, however, that the courts only care about the best interests of the children – not you or your spouse. If you find yourself disagreeing on what is best for the children, it may be in your best interest to hire a child custody attorney. A child custody attorney will represent your best interests, as well as the best interests of your children, especially in regard to contested issues that involve parental rights or responsibilities.
Handling Complex Custody Cases
There are times during a divorce when parents will be able to set aside their differences, and come to an agreement for their children. However, child custody and visitation often become a heated issue – and especially when the conversation about child support comes up. When things do become difficult, it is impossible to make mutually accepted terms in a divorce settlement.
You may need an attorney if:
- You and your spouse cannot agree on terms of custody, or if there are other issues related to the divorce;
- Conversations with your spouse are unproductive and stressful;
- Divorce proceedings have already taken their toll on your relationship with your child;
- You are not sure what information you need to provide to the courts, or to your spouse, regarding custody and support; or
- You do not feel comfortable enough to make decisions or speak on your own behalf in front of a judge.
Courts in California typically uphold the standard that a joint custody arrangement – where both parents are involved in the child’s life – is best for the child. However, there could be circumstances where a particular arrangement endangers the child’s physical or emotional well-being. In these cases, you will need a custody attorney to present your case to the court, and to prove that the standard custody arrangement would not apply to your child’s situation.
The Benefits of Hiring a Child Custody Attorney
An attorney could prove beneficial, even if you and your spouse do not disagree. Attorneys can help find a solution that works best for the child, while still preserving each parent’s right to time with the child. Also, an Orange County family law attorney can help you with the more complex aspects of a child custody case, such as:
- Understanding your state’s laws on custody, and what the courts will consider.
- Furnishing you and your spouse with relevant information during the discovery phase.
- Advising you as to how to conduct yourself in court or mediation, and how to conduct yourself in front of your spouse.
- Drafting a parenting agreement that works for you and your child.
- Advising you as to your rights for child support, and drafting necessary paperwork to start collections.
Speak with a Child Custody Attorney Today
If you are in the middle of a divorce and are concerned about custody, speak with a child custody attorney today. The team at Sarieh Law Offices can help. We understand how stressful the divorce process can be, and how much more complicated it is when you are dealing with children. Let our attorneys shoulder the burden, advise you of your rights, and assist you with the paperwork. Schedule a consultation now by calling 714-542-6200, or ask a question online.